przejdz do zawartosci

up

Search




font size A A A

Skull Chapel


Pokaż poland.gov.pl - turystyka na większej mapie

In Czermna, one of the oldest villages in Kłodzko Powiat, there is a terrifying curiosity – the Skull Chapel – a sanctuary of reverie about life and death. It is the only such monument in Poland, and one of three in Europe.
Walls of this small, baroque chapel are filled with three thousand skulls, the ceiling is decorated by shinbones, and in the cellar, to which a hatch is opened by a guide, there are 21 thousand more skulls. This huge tomb makes the visitors shiver. Every skull, every bone is authentic.
Next to it, there is a monument with a sentence “Commemoration of war victims, warning for the living, 1914”
This unusual church was built in 1776 by the local parish priest Wacław Tomaszek. By chance, he found a mass grave of dozens thousands of victims of wars and a cholera epidemic in the 17th and 18th centuries. For a dozen years, the priest collected them, disinfected and stored. In 1804, the skull of the priest was also placed in the altar.

Czermna, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Kłodzko Powiat, northern part of Kudowa Zdrój, Roman Catholic parish of Saint Bartholomew the Apostle
www.kudowa.zdroj.pl/czermna

Tell a friend | Printable version